This is my famous Cold-Busting, High Antioxidant, Kale Green Smoothie Recipe.
I’ve been drinking variations of this smoothie for the last 4 winters and have not suffered a cold during that entire time. I can’t guarantee you the exact same results, but most people I know who drink this regularly (i.e. daily) have either avoided getting a cold or have been able to fight one off with minimal symptoms in a couple of days rather than weeks.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 3 baby carrots or 1/2 a regular carrot
- 2-3 large dark green leafy kale leaves with stalks
- one handful of cruciferous greens (broccoli greens, cauliflower greens, cabbage greens, etc)
- 16 oz water (use half as ice cubes if using fresh berries)
- 2 TB golden flax seeds
- 1-2 scoops powdered protein for smoothies (optional)
Add all ingredients except flax seed and protein powder to the blender. Blend at high speed for at least one minute or until mixture is completely smooth. Add the flax seed and protein powder while mixing through the hole in the lid during the first 20 seconds of blending.
Notes: You can substitute other fruit for the raspberries, but don’t substitute for the blueberries. If you use fresh fruit, be sure to use half ice cubes for the water. You don’t want your smoothie to heat up! Place the ice cubes in a measuring pitcher up to the 8 oz line and then fill up to the 16 oz. line with water. Be sure to use a high-speed blender like the Vitamix when blending green smoothies. You want to blend everything thoroughly to a fine smoothness. It’s more than just for taste, it’s for the health benefits!